America's Test Kitchen Chicken Fingers
Don't brine the chicken for longer than 30 minutes or it will be too salty.
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut lengthwise into 3/4-inch-wide strips
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs, toasted
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
Adapted from us.cnn.com
1. Dissolve 1 tablespoon salt and Worcestershire in 2 cups cold water in large bowl. Submerge chicken in brine, cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Remove chicken from brine and pat dry with paper towels. Combine flour, onion powder, granulated garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper in shallow dish. Lightly beat eggs in second shallow dish. Spread panko in third shallow dish. Working in batches, dredge chicken in flour mixture, dip in eggs, then coat with panko, pressing gently to adhere; transfer to large plate.
3. Set wire rack in rimmed baking sheet. Heat 1/4 cup oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Lay one-third of chicken in skillet and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to prepared rack and wipe out skillet. Repeat shallow frying twice more with remaining oil and chicken. Let chicken cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
4. Transfer cooled chicken fingers to zipper-lock freezer bags, press out air, and seal. Freeze for up to 1 month. (Do not thaw before reheating.)
TO FINISH AND SERVE:
5. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Place chicken fingers on wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet and bake until heated through and crisp, about 30 minutes, flipping chicken halfway through baking. Serve.
You'll also love
- Prize Winning Meatloaf 4.2/5 (41 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Roast Chicken 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Chicken & Rice Bake without Canned... 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Grilled Balsamic Chicken with... 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Baked Buffalo Popcorn Chicken with... 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Parmesan Fried Chicken Drumettes 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Paleo "KFC" Chicken Tenders from... 4.5/5 (17 Votes)