Gouda Cheese Sauce with Sweet Potato Gnocchi
This delicious Gouda Cheese Sauce goes great with some Sweet Potato Gnocchi.
- 2 cups milk, heated
- 1/4 whole onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 whole sage leaves
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 cup Gouda Cheese, shredded
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 50mins
Adapted from tastykitchen.com
In a small sauce pot combine milk, onion, garlic and sage. Place over medium heat and heat until tiny bubbles appear around the edges of the pan, about 5 minutes. Do not boil. Remove pan from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove and discard onion, garlic and sage leaves. Cover to keep warm.
In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, until blended, 1 minute.
Gradually add the milk, whisking constantly. Reduce the heat to low and continue to whisk until the sauce is smooth and slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. Dip a wooden spoon in the sauce to coat it. Pass your finger through the sauce on the back of the spoon—it should leave a clean track.
Strain the sauce into an clean saucepan. Whisk in the shredded Gouda cheese. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Prepare sweet potato gnocchis to your liking and poor sauce over them.
You'll also love
- Casey's White Chocolate Cherry... 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- Orange Julius Popsicles 4.3/5 (23 Votes)
- Spicy Thai Noodles 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- Popcorn Balls 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- Roasted Corned Beef 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- BLT Pasta Salad 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- Roasted Garlic Twice-Baked Potatoes 4.4/5 (26 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Pie with... 4.6/5 (14 Votes)