Fresh Lemon Mousse
Fresh lemon mousse is light, refreshing, and a complimentary extra added touch to any bread dessert base!
- SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM:
- 3 extra-large whole eggs
- 3 extra-large eggs, separated
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (4 lemons)
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup good bottled lemon curd, room temperature
- Sliced lemon, for garnish
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preparation time 75mins
Cooking time 87mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
In a large heat-proof bowl, whisk together the 3 whole eggs, 3 egg yolks, 1 cup sugar, the lemon zest, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for about 10 to 12 minutes until the mixture is thick like pudding. (I change to a whisk when the mixture starts to get thick.)
Take off the heat and set aside for 15 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours, until completely chilled.
Place half the *egg whites and a pinch of salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on high speed. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and continue to beat until the whites are stiff and shiny. Carefully fold the beaten whites into the cold lemon mixture with a rubber spatula. Place the cream in the same bowl of the electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (no need to clean the bowl) and beat on high speed until the cream forms stiff peaks. Carefully fold the whipped cream into the lemon mixture. Fold in the lemon curd, and pour into a 7-inch-diameter, 3-inch-deep soufflé dish. Decorate with sweetened whipped cream and lemon slices that have been cut into quarters. Chill and serve cold.
Sweetened Whipped Cream:
Place the cream, sugar, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whip on medium and then high speed until the cream just forms still peaks. Spoon the whipped cream into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip.
You'll also love
- Extra Special Mango Float 4.8/5 (8 Votes)
- Beef and Bean Enchilada Casserole 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- Hamburger Steaks with Onions 4.5/5 (28 Votes)
- Sweet Corn Panna Cotta with Fresh... 4.8/5 (8 Votes)
- Pineapple Carrot Coconut Cake 4.4/5 (29 Votes)
- Lemon Chiffon Cake 4.5/5 (28 Votes)
- Seared Tuna with Green Beans,... 4.8/5 (8 Votes)
- Simple & Tasty Chamomile Gin... 4.8/5 (8 Votes)