goat cheese and roasted beet salad with lemon vinaigrette
- 1 lb.red, yellow and/or candy-striped beets, rinsed and trimmedsee savings
- 2 Tbsp.extra-virgin olive oilsee savings
- 9 cupsarugula, watercress, baby spinach, and/or mesclun
- 1 8-oz. logCapriole Fresh Goat Cheese or other goat cheese
- 1/3 cupbroken walnuts, toastedsee savings
- Lemon Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- add ingredients to list
1. Cut beets in half. Place beets in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Drizzle with the olive oil; toss to coat. Cover with foil and roast in a 425 degrees F for 25 minutes. Uncover and roast about 15 minutes more or until fork-tender. Cool; peel and slice 1/4-inch thick. Set aside.
2. Arrange greens on 4 individual salad plates. Top with beets and crumbled goat cheese. Drizzle with half of the Lemon Vinaigrette. Sprinkle with walnuts. Serve immediately. Pass remaining vinaigrette. Makes 4 side-dish servings.
In a screw-top jar combine 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil; 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel; 1/4 cup lemon juice; 1 tablespoon snipped fresh tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon, crushed; 1 tablespoon honey; 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard; 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper. Cover and shake well. Serve immediately or cover and store in refrigerator for up to 3 days if using fresh herbs. If using dried herbs, store covered in refrigerator for up to 1 week. Shake before serving. Makes about 2/3 cup.