Smoked Turkey Reubens
In this update on the classic, smoked turkey stands in for corned beef, while a fresh slaw and sun-dried tomato mayonnaise take the place of sauerkraut and Thousand Island dressing.
- 2 cups green cabbage, thinly sliced (about 4-ounces)
- 3/4 cup julienned kosher dill pickle (from 1 large)
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 12 thin slices smoked turkey
- 8 thin slices Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 20mins
Adapted from finecooking.com
In a medium bowl, toss the cabbage and pickles with the vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon. salt. Transfer to a colander, set it in the sink, and let sit for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, pulse the mayonnaise, sun-dried tomatoes, and ketchup in a food processor until the tomatoes are finely chopped.
Squeeze the cabbage mixture to remove any excess liquid and return to the bowl. Toss the cabbage with 2 tablespoons of the mayonnaise.
Spread the remaining mayonnaise on one side of each slice of the bread. Assemble the sandwiches, layering the turkey, cabbage, and cheese over 4 slices of the bread and topping with the other 4 slices. Spread the outsides of the sandwiches with the butter.
Heat a large grill pan, skillet, or stovetop griddle over medium-low heat. Working in batches if necessary, put the sandwiches in the pan, top with a grill press or heavy skillet to weigh them down, and cook until browned, 2 to 4 minutes. Flip and cook the other side until browned and the cheese is melted, 2 to 4 minutes more. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve.
You'll also love
- Chickpea Avocado Salad Sandwich 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Canned Chicken Noodle Casserole 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Granola Bars 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Grilled Fruit Salad 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Drunken Turkey 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Italian Sausage and Lentil Soup 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Pork Burgers with Sauerkraut &... 4.6/5 (9 Votes)