- 12 lb fresh or thawed turkey
- 2 lbs. dried mixed fruits
- 1 c. white raisins
- 4 Granny Smith apples, cored, quartered and cut into 1" wedges
- 3 oranges, juiced or 1 c. fresh orange juice
- 1 c. dark tequila
- 1 c. Grand Marnier
- 1.5 sticks of butter one stick cut into 1/8 slices
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced (optional)
Preparation time 120mins
Cooking time 400mins
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees, Rinse turkey, pat dry all over and salt the cavity.
2. Combine the dried fruits, raisins, apples and jalapenos (if using) in a medium bowl. Add the liquors and orange juice and let sit for 15 minutes. Drain the fruit and reserve the soaking liquids. Combine the sliced butter with the fruit
3) Fill a basting/injector with the soaking liquids and inject into the turkey, trying to distribute it evenly over the entire turkey
4) Stuff the turkey with the fruit. Melt the remaining butter and pour over the turkey. Place on a roasting rack in a pan, tent with foil and roast for 2.5 hours basting with the pan drippings (add more orange juice if necessary). Remove the foil for the last 1/2 hr to allow the skin to brown.
5) When ready to serve, scoop out the fruit and puree half if it. Place the rest in a serving dish. Mix the pan drippings (defatted) with the fruit puree and pour over the fruit or serve in a gravy dish. If it's too thick you can thin the gravy with poultry stock