Creamy Homemade Coleslaw
I found this recipe on Recipezaar, by Kittencal. I've made a few minor tweaks (adjusted the sugar and celery seeds) but the recipe remains the best mayonnaise-based cole slaw I've made for my family. You don't have to make it the day before, but if you can refrigerate it for a few hours the flavors will really "marry" well. Forget the calories. Enjoy it in moderation. This is a classic cole slaw that I make with pulled pork or for any kind of side dish. It disappears fast!
NOTE: Sometimes I make a batch of just the dressing. My husband makes small servings, throughout the week.
- 1 head green cabbage (8 to 10-cups)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely shredded (hand-squeeze out any excess moisture completely)
- Note: For a shortcut, I sometimes buy pre-shredded cole slaw mix. It works just fine.
- 3 green onions (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoons celery seeds (optional, or to taste)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (Hellman's or Best Foods)
- 1/3 cup milk (light cream even better)
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (use fresh only, not bottled)
- 1/3 cup white sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons white sugar*
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt or white salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- NOTE: *I reduce the sugar, by adding half and adding more if needed. We like ours a little less sweet
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 20mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
In a food processor chop the cabbage into small pieces (should look like about the size of confetti) or shred the cabbage. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
With a fine shredder, shred the peeled carrots; add to the cabbage in the bowl.
NOTE: If using pre-chopped cole slaw blend, then skip all of the above steps!
Chop the green onion finely; add to the cabbage/carrot mixture along with the celery seed. Mix the three veggies all together with a wooden spoon.
For the dressing:
In a medium glass bowl whisk together all the dressing ingredients starting with the lower amounts then adding in and adjusting to suit taste but using 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar.
Pour over the veggies in the bowl, and mix well to combine.
Store covered in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours or overnight (overnight is better) to blend flavors.
FOR ONE 16-OUNCE PACKAGE COLESLAW MIX use the following amounts; 1/2 cup mayonnaise/ 2-1/2 tablespoons milk/ 2-1/2 tablespoons buttermilk/ 1-1/2 tablespoons vinegar/ 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice/ 3-1/2 tablespoons sugar/ 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder/ 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt, or to taste.
You'll also love
- Hawaiian Sweet Bread - Bread... 4.6/5 (35 Votes)
- Beef and Barley Soup (Slow Cooker) 4.6/5 (34 Votes)
- Sides - Armadillo Potatoes 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Summer Salad with Lemon Thyme... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Taco Salad - Crockpot 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Roasted Acorn & Delicata Squash... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Gullivers Creamed Corn 4.6/5 (29 Votes)