Chicken: Honey Roast Chicken with Spring Peas and Shallots
- 1 -3 1/2 - 4 pound whole broiler-fryer chicken
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon
- 1 cup peeled and sliced shallots
- 1 cup champagne, sparkling wine, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 1 small lemon, thinly sliced
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 120mins
Adapted from bhg.com
1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Rinse chicken cavity; pat chicken dry with paper towels. Skewer neck skin to back; tie legs to tail. Place chicken in a shallow roasting pan. Brush with butter; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Roast, uncovered, for 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 hours or until drumsticks move easily in sockets and chicken is no longer pink (180 degrees F). Brush with half the honey and sprinkle with half the tarragon. Roast 5 minutes longer or until the chicken has a golden brown glaze.
3. Remove chicken from pan and tent with foil. Transfer roasting pan to stove top. Add shallots, champagne, broth, remaining honey, and fresh peas (if using). Simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes, until juices thicken slightly and shallots are tender. Add frozen peas (if using) and lemon slices to pan. Simmer 3 to 5 minutes or until heated through. To serve, return chicken to pan, sprinkle with remaining tarragon, and top with additional honey, if desired.
from the test kitchen
Tip Pan Stew ChickenArrange chicken skin-side-up in a shallow baking pan. Brush with butter, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast, uncovered, for 35 minutes. Brush with half the honey and sprinkle with half the tarragon. Roast 5 minutes longer until honey forms a golden brown glaze. Continue as directed in Step 3.