Beets with Lemon and Almonds
America's Test Kitchen
- 1 1/2 lb Beets scrubbed and trimmed and cut in half horizontally
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp salt divided
- 3 tbs white vinegar
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup toasted, chopped almonds
- 2 tbs fresh chopped mint
- 1 tsp fresh chopped thyme
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 50mins
Adapted from allrecipes.com
Put beets in single layer into 12 inch skillet with water and 1/4 tsp. salt and bring to boil over high heat; then turn flame down to low and simmer covered for about 45 minutes til tender; check with paring knife to see if beets are tender.
Take beets out of pan and let cool.
Add vinegar and brown sugar to pan and simmer til liquid has a syrup consistency. Take pan off of heat, cover and set aside.
Rub off beet skin with paper towels. Cut beets into half inch wedges. Add shallots, lemon zest, salt and pepper and stir. Add beets to syrup mixture and toss.
Top with almonds, mint and thyme.
Note: To remove beet stains from hands use tooth whitening toothpaste to remove.
You'll also love
- HEALTHY LOADED CAULIFLOWER... 4.9/5 (9 Votes)
- Japanese Strawberry Shortcake 4.4/5 (45 Votes)
- Chocolate-Cherry Snack Bars 4.9/5 (9 Votes)
- Egg and Spinach Quiche Cups 4.9/5 (9 Votes)
- Starbuck’s Iced Lemon Pound Cake... 4.5/5 (42 Votes)
- Biaggi's Honey Roasted Beet Salad 4.8/5 (13 Votes)
- Berries & Beet Reboot Smoothie 4.7/5 (14 Votes)