Bacon Pancakes With Walnut Butter And Caramelized Onions
- WALNUT BUTTER:
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon cut 1/2" pieces
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil - (to 2)
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 4 ounces unsalted butter - (1 stick) cut into pieces, and at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- CARAMELIZED ONIONS:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound yellow onions peeled, and thinly sliced - (4 cups)
Place the bacon in a large skillet and cook, stirring, over medium-high heat, until crisp and the fat is rendered, about 4 minutes. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels.
Sift the flour, salt, and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the egg and buttermilk, and stir just until blended, being careful not to over mix. Add the chives and crumble the bacon into the batter and mix to incorporate.
Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Ladle 2 tablespoon portions of batter into the pan, being careful not to overcrowd, and cook until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm. Add more oil to the pan as needed and repeat with the remaining batter.
To serve, place 3 pancakes on each serving plate. Top each pancake with a pat of Walnut Butter and Caramelized Onions, and serve immediately.
Walnut Butter: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and lightly toast in the oven for 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool. Roughly chop.
Place the butter, walnuts, shallots, garlic, and salt in a medium bowl, and mix well with a rubber spatula. Spoon down the middle of an 8-inch piece of parchment paper and roll into a log, about 1-inch in diameter. Wrap tightly and refrigerate until ready to use.
To use, cut into thin slices and place on top of the Bacon Pancakes. (The Walnut Butter can be frozen, tightly wrapped in plastic, for up to 1 month. Makes 2/3 cup)
Caramelized Onions: Melt the butter in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and lower the heat to medium-low. Cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and caramelized, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Remove from the heat and set aside until ready to serve with the Bacon Pancakes. (Makes 1 cup)
This recipe yields 18 pancakes; 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (810 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (702 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (665 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (486 Votes)
- Bacon Cheddar Potato Cakes 4.5/5 (273 Votes)
- Bacon Breakfast Enchiladas 4.5/5 (227 Votes)