Queso Blanco Dip
Quick, easy and delicious queso blanco is a perfect starter served with tortilla chips, or dish it up next Taco Tuesday!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups whole milk, for thicker sauce use less
- 8 ounces finely shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 10mins
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute until soft about 4 minutes, adding garlic during the last 30 seconds of sauteing.
Whisk in flour, and cook stirring constantly, about 30 seconds.
Slowly pour milk into mixture, while whisking vigorously. Bring mixture just to a gentle bubble stirring constantly, then reduce heat to low. Allow to rest over low heat 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add in finely shredded Monterrey Jack cheese and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until cheese melts (it will take the cheese a minute to melt, at first it may look curdled but that just means the cheese hasn't fully melted yet so continue to cook until completely melted).
Stir in optional ingredients. Serve warm with tortilla chips (or serve over tacos etc. Note that it will thicken as it rests so reheat to thin if desired).
NOTE: For a smooth cheese sauce without the chunky ingredients, omit the chopped onion and crushed garlic. Replace it with 1/2 teaspoon onion powder and a generous pinch of garlic powder. Since you won't need to saute simply melt the butter then add the flour, garlic powder and onion powder and continue as directed and omit the optional ingredients.
You'll also love
- White Gummy Bear 3.9/5 (256 Votes)
- Crockpot Ham, Green Beans &... 3.8/5 (435 Votes)
- Spinach Dip (a.k.a. J Alexanders) 3.7/5 (312 Votes)
- Cowboy Corn Dip 3.8/5 (280 Votes)
- Cheesy Baked Dip 4.5/5 (102 Votes)
- Chile con Queso 4.5/5 (26 Votes)
- Copycat Spicy Queso Blanco... 4.1/5 (40 Votes)
Review this recipe