Home-Style Honey Wheat Bread
This home baked honey wheat bread is awesome served warm with butter. Enjoy!
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm milk (about 110°F.)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 to 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups stone ground whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil or butter
- Melted butter, or egg glaze
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 210mins
Dissolve the yeast with the milk and honey in a large mixing bowl; let it proof until foamy. Add 1 cup all-purpose flour, whole west flour, salt and cooking oil; beat until smooth. Stir in remaining flour, 1 cup at a time, to make a firm dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured board; cover and let rest 10 minutes. Knead until smooth and elastic, adding flour as needed to prevent sticking, about 10 minutes.
Place in a greased bowl and turn to coat the surface. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in bulk (about 1 1/2 to 2 hours).
Punch down the dough. Sprinkle bottom of the La Cloche dish with wheat germ. Shape dough into a road loaf and place it in the center of the La Cloche dish. Cover with La Cloche lid and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in bulk (about 1 hour).
Preheat your oven to 400°F at about 45 minutes into this last "rise" stage.
Brush with melted butter or egg glaze. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until loaf sounds hollow when tapped (remove cover for last 10 minutes of baking). Allow to cool on a wire rack.
You'll also love
- Lemon Sugar Cookie 4.4/5 (41 Votes)
- French Onion Soup Grilled Cheese... 4.5/5 (34 Votes)
- Bacon & Cheddar Biscuits with... 4.6/5 (25 Votes)
- Sufganiyot 4.4/5 (39 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Sticky Caramel Pumpkin... 4.6/5 (28 Votes)
- Cranberry Tart 4.6/5 (29 Votes)
- Pumpkin Bread in a Jar 4.3/5 (44 Votes)
- Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Apple... 4.4/5 (40 Votes)