Organic Broccolini & Spinach Soup
This soup is delicious in winter and summer and is a great way to eat your greens! If you can't find broccolini at your local market substitute broccoli and peel the stems (this is not necessary with broccolini because of its tenderness). Broccolini is a hybrid of broccoli and Chinese kale. The result is a tender, slightly sweet vegetable with edible stems and florets.
- 1 1/2 pounds of organic broccolini
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup chopped leek
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon of fresh basil chopped
- 1 teaspoon of fresh marjoram chopped
- 1 teaspoon of fresh Italian parsley chopped
- 5 cups organic vegtable stock (you can also use chicken stock)
- 2 cups of packed organic spinach washed, and trimmed
- 2 teaspoons of fresh grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons of Meyer Lemon juice
- 1 cup organic soy or almond milk, or 1/4-1/2 cup of cream if preferred
1. Cut the stems from the florets of the broccolini. Cut stems into about 1/2 - inch pieces.
2. Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium high heat. Add the onion and leek to pan and season with salt and pepper. Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Lower temperature to medium heat and cook vegetables slowly until tender about 10 minutes (you do not want the vegetables to take on any color).
3. Stir in the basil, marjoram, and Italian parsley. Add the broccolini stems, vegetable stock and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered for 2-3 minutes. Add the florets and cook until fork tender about 5 minutes. Stir in cleaned spinach and lemon zest. Once the spinach has wilted into the soup, puree the soup in small batches in a blender.
4. Return blended soup to pan and stir in lemon juice then soy milk. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Serve in warm bowls and garnish with lemon zest.
You'll also love
- Pineapple Jam (Made Easy) 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Cod with Parmesan Sauce 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Sweet & Spicy Shrimp & Zucchini... 4/5 (58 Votes)
- Chicken Broccoli Alfredo 4.4/5 (15 Votes)
- Creamy Spinach Stuffed Salmon 4.4/5 (15 Votes)
- Spinach, Cheese, & Ham Stuffed... 4.3/5 (21 Votes)
Review this recipe