Mom's Clam Chowder
- 3 (6.5 ounce) cans minced clams or 16 ounces chopped clams
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 cups cubed potatoes
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoonsred wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ground black pepper to taste
1.Drain juice from clams into a large skillet over the onions, celery, potatoes. Add water to cover, and cook over medium heat until tender, about 10-15 minutes
2.Meanwhile, in a large, heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Whisk in cream and stir constantly until thick and smooth. Stir in vegetables and clam juice. Heat through,about 15-20 minutes but do not boil.
3.Stir in clams just before serving. If they cook too much they get tough. When clams are heated through,about 5 minutes, stir in vinegar, and season with salt and pepper.