Crispy Apple-Oat Fritters
BONAPPETIT January 2014
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 cup gluten-free old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup (or more) club soda
- 2 large crisp apples, peeled, cored
- with an apple corer, sliced into 1/4" thick rings
- Vegetable oil (for frying; about 4 cups)
- Special Equipment: A deep-fry thermometer
Whisk 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon in a shallow bowl; set aside.
Fit a large pot with thermometer and pour oil to measure 3". Heat over medium-high heat until thermometer registers 375.
Meanwhile, pulse oats in a food processor to a coarse powder. Transfer to a large bowl and whisk in rice flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, and remaining 2 Tbsp. sugar and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. Whisk in egg and 1/2 cup club soda, adding more soda by the tablespoonful until the consistency of pancake batter.
If the batter thickens as it sits, thin with more club soda.
Working in batches and maintaining oil temperature, dip apple rings in batter and fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown and crisp, about 4 minutes.
Transfer fritters to a paper towel-lined plate; let drain briefly, then toss in reserved cinnamon sugar.