These bonbons make a great homemade gift. They are also very popular at birthday parties.
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk, not evaporated
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
- 12 to 16 small strawberries
- 1 (8 ounce) bar dark baking chocolate
- 2 1/2 ounce white chocolate baking bar or square
Adapted from pillsbury.com
In a 4-quart heavy nonstick saucepan, heat sweetened condensed milk, 1 tablespoon unsalted butter and coconut to boiling, stirring constantly with wooden spoon.
Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook, stirring constantly, 10 to 15 minutes or until thick and shiny and starts to pull away from bottom and sides of pan. You will know mixture is ready when you tilt pan and mixture slides down easily. Transfer mixture to greased plate. Place in refrigerator or freezer until mixture is very cold.
Make sure strawberries are completely dry before making the bonbons.
Grease hands with unsalted butter. Scoop up generous tablespoonful of cold coconut mixture; flatten in the palm of your hand. Place a strawberry over it and wrap coconut mixture around to conform to shape of strawberry. Repeat to use up coconut mixture. Place covered strawberries in freezer for about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, use double boiler or microwave to melt dark chocolate. Cover cookie sheet with cooking parchment or waxed paper. Use dipping fork to drop covered strawberries one at a time into melted dark chocolate. Coat well with chocolate and then remove using dipping fork. Tap fork a few times against bowl to remove excess chocolate. Place the strawberries back on cookie sheet, flat side down. Refrigerate until chocolate is set.
Use double boiler or microwave to melt white chocolate. Place melted white chocolate in freezer bag and cut off tip; drizzle chocolate over bonbons. Or place melted white chocolate in a squeeze bottle for drizzling. Refrigerate until chocolate is set.
To give this as a gift, place them in food gift boxes and decorate as you wish. Store bonbons in refrigerator and serve within 24 hours.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (813 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (738 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (489 Votes)
- Apple Brie Tarts 4.5/5 (311 Votes)
- Samoa Brownies 4.5/5 (288 Votes)
- Raspberry Beignets with Vanilla... 4.6/5 (187 Votes)
- Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake 4.4/5 (181 Votes)