Strawberry Fig Preserves
Figs make for a sweet preserve, and starting with a box of strawberry jello makes this recipe easy to make at home.
- 4 cups fresh figs, stems removed
- 3 cups white sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry flavored Jell-O®
- 5 half-pint canning jars with lids and rings, or as needed
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 110mins
Adapted from allrecipes.com
Mix figs and sugar together in a large saucepan, place over medium heat, and cook, stirring often, until sugar has dissolved. Mix in strawberry gelatin; bring the mixture to a boil and boil for 7 minutes. Mash preserves with a potato masher if desired.
Sterilize the jars and lids in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Pack the fig preserves into the hot, sterilized jars, filling the jars to within 1/4 inch of the top. Run a knife or a thin spatula around the insides of the jars after they have been filled to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims of the jars with a moist paper towel to remove any food residue. Top with lids and screw on rings.
Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil and lower jars into the boiling water using a holder. Leave a 2-inch space between the jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary to bring the water level to at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Bring the water to a rolling boil, cover the pot, and process for 10 minutes.
Remove the jars from the stockpot and place onto a cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Once cool, press the top of each lid with a finger, ensuring that the seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all). Store in a cool, dark area.
You'll also love
- MEMPHIS SMOKED SIRLOIN ROAST 3.8/5 (36 Votes)
- Mo's Linguini Alfredo with Oregon... 4.1/5 (14 Votes)
- Pork Stew 4/5 (8 Votes)
- Spicy Chili Lime Coleslaw 3.7/5 (35 Votes)
- Tequilaberry’s Salad 4/5 (9 Votes)
- Strawberry Jam Salad Dressing 4/5 (6 Votes)
- Pancetta Crisps with Goat Cheese... 4.1/5 (7 Votes)
- Tomato, Fresh Fig, & Blue Cheese... 3.8/5 (10 Votes)