Portobello Mushroom "Steak" with Garlic Butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 fresh portobello mushroom, about 1/2 lb, brushed, clean and stem removed
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
In a small frying pan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add the mushroom, rounded side down. Season the grill side liberally with salt and pepper and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for 5 minutes, then turn, season with salt and peopper, and cook, turning every 5 minutes, until tender and well browned on the rounded side, about 15 minutes longer. Transfer to a cutting board.
Remove the frying pan from the heat. Let cool for a minute or two, then add the butter, garlic, and parsley. Swirl the pan to melt the butter and cook the garlic briefly; if the pan has cooled too much, return it to low heat until the butter melts.
Cut the mushroom into slices. Add any mushroom juices to the frying pan. Transfer the mushroom slices to a warmed dinner plate. Pour the garlic butter over them.