Corned Beef with Jezebel Sauce
This delicious Corned Beef with Jezebel Sauce recipe comes straight from the Penzey's catalog. Enjoy!
- JEZEBEL SAUCE:
- 1 10-12 pound corned beef, do not trim
- 2 tablespoons light cooking oil
- 1/3 cup pickling spice, or corned beef spice
- 1/4 cup four peppercorn blend, black peppercorns are an acceptable substitute
- 1 tablespoon coarse pacific sea salt
- 1 jar (8 ounce) of pineapple preserves
- 1 jar (6 ounce) of Dijon-style mustard
- 1 jar (6 ounce) of horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger, optional
Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
Rinse the corned beef to remove the salty brine. To reduce the sodium content a bit more you can plunge the whole beef in boiling water for 2 minutes, rinse and pat dry before seasoning. Rub the corned beef with the oil. Sprinkle evenly with the spices.
Seal tightly in aluminum foil, making sure none of the meat is exposed. Place in a shallow baking pan and cook for 11-12 hours.
Combine all of the ingredients in a serving bowl and mix well. Cover and let the flavors mingle for at least 12 hours.
Remove the corned beef from the oven. If the meat is not as brown as you would like, raise the oven temp to 350 degrees F and remove the foil and put back in the oven until it is the color you desire. Scrape the spices off as desired. Slice and serve with sauce.