Carrot Zucchini Fritters
- 2/3 cup plus 1/2 cup sour cream, divided
- 2/3 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup horseradish sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 medium zucchini, shredded and squeezed dry (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for frying
In a blender, place 2/3 cup sour cream, basil, lemon juice, salt and pepper; cover and process until blended. Transfer to a small bowl. In another bowl, combine the mayonnaise, horseradish sauce and remaining sour cream. Cover and refrigerate for both sauces.
Place onion and butter in a microwave-safe dish. Cover; microwave on high until onion is tender. Add the egg, zucchini and carrot. In a small bowl, combine the flour, cheese, cornmeal, salt and pepper; stir in vegetable mixture just until combined.
In an electric skillet, heat 2 in. of oil to 375°. Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 1-1/2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels.
Yield: 1-1/2 dozen fritters, 2/3 cup basil sauce and 1-1/2 cups horseradish sauce.