Basic Brownie Recipe with Variations
Use this basic brownie recipe and try different ways to shake up plain brownies and make them unique. Try different mix-ins and topping with whatever you are craving, or happen to have on hand. Here they are with Kahlua Browned Butter Frosting!
- TOPPING AND FILLING IDEAS:
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 (4-ounce) chocolate bar, melted (I used the butter to help melt the chocolate)
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup hot coffee for added moisture, optional, or use chocolate sundae syrup
- Chopped nuts, of choice,
- Chopped candy, or flavored chocolate chips
- Full size or fun size candy bars in the middle
- Frosting, topped with candy or sprinkles
- Caramel swirl the last 5 to 10 minutes of baking
- For Rocky Road Brownies: Add chopped nuts and mini marshmallows.
- For Peanut Butter Brownies: Swap out half the butter for peanut butter.
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In bowl of mixer combine melted butter, sugar, eggs, and melted chocolate. Mix until well combined.
Combine flour, baking powder, cocoa, and salt in a seperate bowl, stir into the wet mixture slowly. Add hot coffee a little at a time to make sure that batter doesn't get to runny.
Stir in candy or nuts if using.
Grease an 8 by 8 pan, spread batter in prepared pan.
Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Cool before serving.
Can also make brownie bites using cupcake pan.
There are so many things you can do with this basic brownie recipe and your imagination! Look in your pantry and see what goes good with chocolate -- mix it in, layer it in the middle of the batter, add it on top!
Surprise in the middle: Pour half the batter in the pan and lay a few full size or fun size candy bars down accross the pan. Pour the rest of the batter over the top. You may have to cook bottom for a few minutes to make sure the candy bars don't sink