Grilled Shrimp Tacos Topped with Avocado and Grilled Pineapple
Shrimp, avocado, pineapple and cilantro - all wrapped up in a corn tortilla. Yes, please!
- 2 pounds large shrimp peeled and deveined, tails left on
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 2 avocados, diced medium
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chiles of your choice
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice (from 2 or 3 limes)
- 1 dozen 6-inch corn tortillas
- 3 (1-inch-thick) slices fresh pineapple, peeled and cored
Adapted from tastebook.com
Make the Grilled Shrimp:
Thread the shrimp onto skewers, about 6 per skewer. Drizzle the shrimp with the olive oil and sprinkle them generously with the salt and pepper, then place them on the grill directly over the coals and cook until slightly charred and golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. To check for doneness, cut into one of the shrimp at its thickest point and peek inside to be sure it is opaque throughout.
Make the Tacos:
While the fire heats up, combine the shredded cabbage and diced avocados in a large bowl.
Next, place in separate small containers: extra-virgin olive oil, chopped fresh cilantro leaves, chopped fresh chiles of your choice, ground cumin and fresh lime juice (from 2 or 3 limes).
When the fire is ready, put the tortillas on the grill right above the coals. Grill the tortillas for just 30 seconds per side to heat, then put them aside; grill the pineapple until golden, 4 to 5 minutes per side. When the pineapple comes off the grill, cut it into medium dice and put into the large bowl.
When the shrimp come off the grill, slide them off the skewers into the bowl with the cabbage mixture, add all the other prepped ingredients, and toss like crazy. Season to taste and serve with the grilled tortillas.