Spicy Black Beans and Rice
Spicy black beans are served over a bed of sticky rice. A tasty alternative to red beans and rice.
- 1 cup white basmati rice
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup chicken stock, vegetable stock or water
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from foodandwine.com
In a medium saucepan, cover the rice with the water. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook over low heat until the rice is tender and the water has been absorbed, about 18 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in another medium saucepan, combine the beans, Worcestershire, hot sauce, cumin, chili powder, salt and stock or water. Bring to a simmer, then turn the heat down to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender and the liquid has thickened, about 20 minutes. Stir in the lime juice and taste for seasoning.
Transfer the rice to a platter. Top with the beans and garnish with cilantro.
You'll also love
- Strawberry Square Pie 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Apples Foster 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Corn and Black Bean Quesadillas 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
- Duck Breasts with Citrus Port... 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Quiche Muffins 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
- Crispy Sea Salt & Vinegar... 4.2/5 (26 Votes)
- Crockpot Creamy Black Bean Chicken... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)