Wall Street Journal January 25,2014
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup Demerara sugar, plus more to taste, depending on the tartness of the apples
- 1 star anise or 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 crisp apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup Calvados or Apple Jack
- Vanilla ice cream or crème fraîche, for serving
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 10mins
Adapted from online.wsj.com
1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter and cook until it foams. Once foaming subsides, stir in sugar and spice and cook 1 minute to allow flavors to meld.
2. Lay apples into pan in a single layer and cook until fruit begins to caramelize, about 5 minutes.
3. Pour Calvados into pan. Use a long match or candle lighter to ignite alcohol. Boil until flames subside, 1 minute. Remove from heat and serve with ice cream or crème fraîche.