Broccoli / Brie Soup
Serve at the Dunsmuir Brewery Works
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- Fine sea salt
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, preferably organic
- 2 1/4 cups whole milk
- 6 ounces brie
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
1. Add one quarter of the broccoli to a food processor, and run the machine until the broccoli is very finely chopped. Remove the chopped broccoli to a large bowl, and repeat 3 more times until all the broccoli is finely chopped. Set aside.
2. In a large soup pot with a lid, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, and season lightly with salt. Sweat, stirring often, over medium heat for 2 minutes, until the onions are just softened and fragrant.
3. Add the broccoli and garlic to the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Lower heat to low to medium-low, and cook covered for 5 minutes.
4. Remove the lid from the pot, and stir in 2 tablespoons flour, until well distributed. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, just to remove the raw flour taste, stirring continuously.
5. Add the chicken stock and the milk. Raise the heat to high until the liquid boils. Immediately reduce heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer 15 minutes. The broccoli should be completely cooked, and the soup slightly thickened.
6. Cut the rind off the brie, and cut the brie into small chunks. Add the brie and cream to the pot. Cover, and cook over the lowest heat for just 2 minutes to melt the cheese. Use a whisk to incorporate the melted cheese into the soup. Serve immediately.