Roasted Yams and Parsnips
er serving: 320 calories (80 from fat), 9g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 210mg sodium, 60g total carbohydrate (9g dietary fiber, 31g sugar), 5g protein
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 pounds parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, toss together sweet potatoes, parsnips, bay leaf, oil and salt and pepper and then transfer to a large roasting pan. Roast, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden brown, about 1 hour; discard bay leaf. Meanwhile, whisk together juice, honey and sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced and thickened, 7 to 8 minutes. Stir in pecans and set aside.
Transfer vegetables to a platter, drizzle honey-pecan mixture over the top, garnish with parsley and serve.