Parsnip Cake with Browned Butter Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups finely grated parsnips
- 1 cup butter
- 16 ounce package powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preparation time 60mins
Cooking time 90mins
Preheat oven 350 degress
Lightly grease and flour two 9" round layer pans. Set aside.
In a medium bowl beat the oil, sugar and eggs.
In a separate bowl mix the flour with the baking soda, salt and spices. Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Next, grate the parsnips on a box grater. Stir in the parsnips and until just combined.
Pour half the batter into each pan.
Bake the cake(s) for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
Remove the layers from the pans after about 15 minutes, and place them on a rack to cool. Allow the cakes to cool completely before frosting.
Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, 6 to 8 minutes or until butter begins to turn golden brown.
Remove pan from heat immediately, and pour butter into a bowl.
Cover and chill 1 hour or until butter is cool and begins to solidify.
Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add powdered sugar alternately with milk, beginning and ending with powdered sugar.
Beat mixture at low speed until well blended after each addition adding vanilla at the end.
Frost layers- frost the top of one layer, top with the second layer, and frost the top and sides of the cake.
You'll also love
- Grilled Shrimp with Tamarind Sauce 4.3/5 (10 Votes)
- Dried Fig Muffins 4.2/5 (13 Votes)
- Eggplant and Zucchini Pie- Scotto... 3.8/5 (13 Votes)
- Italian Marinated Eggplant... 3.9/5 (20 Votes)
- Maple roasted parsnips and carrots 4.1/5 (14 Votes)
- Fluffy Peanut Butter Frosting 2.9/5 (14 Votes)
- Peanut Butter Frosting 1/5 (1 Votes)