Curried Yam & Cauliflower Soup
Cauliflower roasted with Indian spices mingle with the sweetness of yams to create this healthy and delicious soup.
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 8 cloves garlic
- olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garam masala, divided
- 1 teaspoon curry powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (more to taste)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 medium to large-sized peeled sweet potatoes, cut into 1″ pieces
- 7 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- jalapeno, diced
- cilantro, rough chop
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 90mins
Adapted from jamesandeverett.com
Heat oven to 400 °F. Cut cauliflower into bite sized pieces. Place cauliflower into a baking dish with garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle with half of the garam masala, curry powder, cumin, and chili powder tossing to mix. Place in oven and roast until golden brown and just tender, but not mushy, about 20-30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool while you prepare the rest of the soup.
Heat a large stockpot over medium high heat. Add about 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the onion (add more garlic of desired). Add bay leaves and cook onions until translucent.
Add stock and bring sweet potato, onion, and garlic and water to a boil. Add about 3/4 teaspoon of salt. Reduce heat and simmer until sweet potatoes are fork tender. Add roasted cauliflower and garlic and the remaining spices. Simmer until cauliflower is heated through.
Using a slotted spoon remove about half of the cauliflower and yams and hold aside.
Using an immersion blender puree the contents of the stock pot in to a smooth consistency.
Return the yams and cauliflower that you held aside to the pureed soup. Add lemon juice and simmer for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with diced jalapeno and cilantro.
You'll also love
- Cajun Black Bean Soup with Lime 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Corned Beef Shepherds Pie 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Beef Tongue with Horseradish 3.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Thanksgiving Yams 4.2/5 (10 Votes)
- Roasted Cauliflower with Parmesan 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Ube Pies (Purple Yam or Purple... 3.9/5 (23 Votes)
- Cauliflower Soup (Donna) 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Curried Cauliflower Soup... 0/5 (0 Votes)
Review this recipe