Yam Gratin with Gruyere
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 lbs. yams, peeled
- 3/4 cup shredded gruyere cheese
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 120mins
Adapted from wegmans.com
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. Spray baking dish with nonstick spray. Place baking dish on baking sheet.
2. Stir together cream and salt in large bowl. Using mandolin, slice yams into bowl, coating slices with cream mixture as you work.
3. Layer 1/3 yams in baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 of cheese. Report with another 1/3 yams and remainder of cheese. Top with remaining yams. Pour any remaining cream mixture over top.
4. Bake uncovered on center of rack of oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven.
5. Press fork or spatula carefully against top layer to allow liquid to flow over top of yams. Replace pan w/ baking dish in oven; bake 30 minutes. Remove pan from oven and repeat :press down carefully w/ fork or spatula to allow liquid to overflow over top. Replace pan in oven; bake 40-45 minutes or until yams are tender. Remove from over; let rest 15 minutes