- 1 1/2 cups bananas, mashed, ripe
- 2 tsps. lemon juice
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 2 1/8 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsps. Vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened;
- 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups icing sugar
- Garnish: Chopped Walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 275.
2. Grease & flour 9 x 13 pan.
3. In small bowl, mix mashed bananas with lemon juice, set aside.
4. In medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda & salt; set aside.
5. In large bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter & 2 1/8 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
6. Beat in eggs, one at a time, stir in 2 tsp. vanilla.
7. Beat in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk.
8. Stir in banana mixture.
9. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
10. Remove from oven and place directly in freezer for 45 minutes. This will make the cake very moist.
11. For the frosting, cream the butter & cream cheese until smooth.
12. Beat in 1 tsp. vanilla.
13. Add icing sugar and beat on low speed until combined, then on high speed until smooth.
14. Spread on cooled cake.
15. Sprinkle chopped walnuts over top of frosting, if desired.