Cider-Braised Bratwurst with Apples
These cider-braised brats are perfect for autumn dinners. The sweetness of the apples and onions, mixed with savory thyme, is delicious.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 uncooked bratwursts (about 1 pound total)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 Domex SuperFresh Fuji or Jonagold apples, cored and cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups fresh apple cider
Adapted from superfreshgrowers.com
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add bratwurst and brown well on all sides, about 5 minutes total. Transfer bratwurst to a plate and set aside.
Add onion to the skillet and cook, stirring often, until it begins to brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add apple slices, thyme, salt and pepper; stir to mix.
Return bratwurst to the skillet, nestling the sausages down into the apple/onion mixture. Pour cider over sausages, loosely cover the skillet with its lid or a piece of foil (so steam can escape) and reduce heat to medium-low. Braise until sausages are cooked through and apples are nearly tender, about 20 minutes.
Transfer sausages to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Reduce the cooking liquids over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
To serve, arrange bratwurst on individual plates, spoon the apple mixture alongside and drizzle with the cooking liquids.
Makes 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Drop Biscuit Cherry Cobbler 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- The Original Roasted Raspberry... 3.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Canning Apples 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Ground Beef & Crescent Roll... 4.1/5 (8 Votes)
- Kitchen Boss Grandma Maddalena's... 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Sausage Camembert Spoon Pudding 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Pretzel Wrapped Bratwurst 4/5 (1 Votes)
- German Bratwurst with Cabbage in a... 4/5 (1 Votes)