Sausage Camembert Spoon Pudding
Delicious individual spoon puddings baked with savory Italian sausage, cornmeal, egg whites, cheese, topped with tart crème fraîche, Aleppo pepper and parsley.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for greasing
- 8 ounces raw spicy Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 6 ounces Camembert or Brie cheese, with the rind, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Crème fraîche, for garnish
- Aleppo pepper, for garnish
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped for garnish
Adapted from saveur.com
Heat oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook, stirring and breaking up meat into large pieces, until browned, 5–7 minutes; set aside. Using a hand mixer, beat egg whites in a bowl until soft peaks form, 2–3 minutes; refrigerate until ready to use.
Heat oven to 350°F. Grease eight 4-ounce ramekins with olive oil. Boil stock and cream in a 4-quart saucepan. Whisk in cornmeal; cook until slightly thick, 1–2 minutes. Stir in sausage, salt, and pepper; fold in egg whites and cheese. Spoon into ramekins; bake until set, 30–35 minutes. Garnish with crème fraîche; sprinkle with Aleppo pepper and parsley.