Pretzel Wrapped Bratwurst
- 7 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBS yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm milk
- 3 TBS melted butter
- 10 cheddar bratwurst (or regular – or 12 hotdogs)
- 2 quarts water
- 4 TBS baking soda
- 1 TBS salt
1. Combine the warm and yeast in a small bowl. Lightly stir and set aside for about 5-7 minutes.
2. Combine the flour and salt in stand mixer bowl
3. Add the warm butter to the yeast mixture.
4. In a stand mixer with a dough hook, combine the wet ingredients with the dry and mix on low until thoroughly combined and the dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Knead for another 2 minutes.
5. Remove the dough from the bowl, spray with cooking spray, return the dough to the bowl and cover.
6. Allow to rise until it is doubled in size.
7. Once risen, punch down the dough and knead for 1 minute.
8. Cut dough into 10 equal pieces (12 for hotdogs).
9. Roll into long ropes about 18 inches in length.
10. Wrap each bratwurst (or hotdog) from end to end with the dough. Press seams together.
11. Allow to rest for about 15 minutes, while the oven preheats to 400 degrees and you boil a large pot of water (with salt and baking soda).
12. Bring water to a roiling boil.
13. Place 2 buns into the pot and boil for 1 minute on each side. Remove from water and score the tops with a sharp knife.
14. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
15. When all buns have been boiled, bake them on a greased cookie sheet for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
15. Enjoy with a side of ketchup or mustard.