Tomatillo & Pork Chili
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 1 pound lean ground pork (see Tips)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound tomatillos (see Tips), husks removed, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 medium poblano peppers, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 2 tablespoons minced chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (see Tips)
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 14-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can hominy (see Tips), rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can no-salt-added pinto beans, drained
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add ground pork, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring and breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until the meat is no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes.
Add tomatillos and poblanos and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are starting to soften, 5 to 7 minutes.
Add bulgur, chipotles, oregano, cumin and salt and cook, stirring, until aromatic, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Stir in tomatoes, hominy and beans.
Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is reduced and thickened and the bulgur is tender, about 50 minutes.