Green Beans with Romano Crumbs
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Italian-style dried breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Romano cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add salt to taste. Add the green beans and cook just until crisp-tender and bright green, about 3 minutes. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold running water to stop the cooking. Drain well and pat dry with paper towels.
Toss the green beans and oil in a large bowl. Add the breadcrumbs and Romano cheese and toss again. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Spread in a 2-quart shallow baking dish. (Nonna Testa would take the time to arrange the beans so they all ran in the same direction.)
Bake until the crumbs are golden brown, about 20 minutes. Serve hot.