Applesauce Drop Donuts
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1/4 cup milk or 1/4 cup buttermilk
- oil ( for frying)
Adapted from food.com
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Beat in applesauce and vanilla.
Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk (batter will be extremely thick).
In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°F.
Drop teaspoonfuls of batter a few at a time into hot oil.
Turn with a slotted spoon and fry until golden, about 1 minute on each side. Drain on paper towels; roll in sugar while warm.