Mexican Corn Bread/Miss Kay
Cornbread made with bacon and jalapeno for a very savory and slightly spicy result that's delicious with chili or fried chicken and collard greens.
- 10 slices bacon
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8.25-ounce) can cream style corn
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated and divided
Cooking time 60mins
Preheat oven to 400°F. Arrange bacon slices in crisscross pattern in bottom of 10.5x2-inch cast-iron skillet. Place skillet in oven for 15 minutes or until bacon drippings evenly cover bottom of skillet.
Tilt skillet to distribute drippings evenly. (Drippings will prevent corn bread from sticking)
Whisk together cornmeal, baking powder and salt in a large bowl; set aside.
Whisk together corn and next 3 ingredients; stir into cornmeal mixture. Stir in peppers and 1 1/2 cups cheese just until blended. Spoon batter into skillet. Bake at 400°F for 25 minutes.
Remove from oven; sprinkle remaining cheese over bread. Bake 10 minutes until cheese melts and bread is golden. Remove from oven to wire rack; let stand 10 minutes. Loosen edges with metal spatula; flip bread into serving plate. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
You'll also love
- Crockpot Cheesey Bacon Tots 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- DELMONICO POTATOES 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Charred Brussels Sprouts Recipe... 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- Vegetables: Baked Potato Casserole 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Crab Dip 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Surf & Turf: Steak Oscar with... 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Mexicorn Dip 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Mini Pepper Nachos with Corn,... 4.4/5 (10 Votes)