Glazed Lemon Cake
Simply perfection. The kind of recipe everyone has to have, once they sample the cake.
- Lemon icing:
- 2 sticks sweet butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups unbleached all purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespooons tightly packed fresh grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 pound confectioner's sugar
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick) softened
- 3 tablespoons tightly packed grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
Cooking time 65mins
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 10 inch tube pan.
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time; blending well after each addition.
Sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Stir dry ingredients into egg mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Add lemon zest and juice.
Pour batter into prepared tube pan. Set on the middle rack of the oven and bake for one hour and 5 minutes, or until cake pulls away from sides of pan and a tester insterted in the center comes out clean.
Cool cake in the pan, set on a rack for 10 monutes. Remove cake from pan and spread icing on at once, while cake is still hot.
Cream sugar and butter thoroughly. Mix in lemon zest and juice; spread on warm cake