Salmon and Lentils With Moroccan Tomato Sauce
For a healthy dose of omega-3s, try this delicious salmon dish. Buy wild-caught salmon, which are lower in toxins than farm-raised, and choose fresh tomatoes from your local farmer's market
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 10 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 44 mg
Sodium: 512 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 29 g
Dietary Fiber: 14 g
Protein: 28 g
- 1/4 cup sliced organic almonds, divided
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 14 1/2 ounces reduced-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seed (whole or ground)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed (whole or ground)
- 3/4 teaspoon cardamom pods (whole or ground)
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds (whole or ground)
- 3 whole cloves or 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Cooking spray
- 1 shallot, peeled and chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 14 1/2 ounces peeled, no-salt-added tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, or to taste
- 12 ounces salmon fillet, (4 3-ounce fillets), boned and skinned
- Always buy broth in cardboard containers instead of cans.
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 45mins
Spread the organic almonds on an ungreased baking pan. Place in a 350-degree oven and bake 5 to 10 minutes or until almonds are light brown; stir once or twice to ensure even browning. Note that almonds will continue to brown slightly after removing from oven.
In medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring lentils and broth to boil; reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until lentils are tender.
Meanwhile, put all whole spices in a grinder and process until well ground, or if using ground spices, combine them in a small bowl.
Coat a skillet lightly with vegetable cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Add shallot and garlic; sauté about 5 minutes until translucent. Mix in 1 1/4 teaspoons of the spice mixture, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
In an electric blender, pulse tomatoes just until roughly puréed; add to pan with hot pepper sauce and heat through. Set aside.
In small bowl, mix remaining spices, salt and pepper; rub onto both sides of salmon fillets.
Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat lightly with vegetable cooking spray; add salmon to pan without crowding. Sauté salmon 4 minutes; turn, cover and cook 3 to 6 minutes longer, depending on thickness, or until cooked throughout.
Stir two tablespoons of organic almonds into lentils; divide among four plates. Top with salmon and tomato sauce. Sprinkle with remaining almonds
You'll also love
- Green Beans with Horseradish Sauce 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Kefir Banana Bread Recipe 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Hamburger Corn Bake 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chili-Spiced Salmon Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Clam Loaf 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Broiled Tomato Slices 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Split Pea & Chickpea Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Braised Eggplant with Onion and... 0/5 (0 Votes)
Review this recipe