Pasta Carbonara with Corn and Chiles
- 1 lb. egg tagliatelle or egg fettuccine pasta
- 3 tbps. EVOO
- 1/4-1/3 lb. pancetta, finely diced
- 4 ears corn, kernels scraped from the cob, or 1 1/2 to 2 cups thawed frozen corn kernels
- 2 small fresno or italian cherry chile peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 extra large egg yolks, beaten
- 1/2 cup each grated (nutty) parmigiano-reggiano and (tangy) pecorino-romano cheese
- a handful chives, snipped into 1-inch pieces
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving about 1 cup of the pasta cooking water.
While the pasta is working, heat the EVOO in a large skillet, 3 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and brown for about 3 minutes. Add the corn kernels and lightly brown thier edges, stirring, about 5 minutes. Add the chile peppers, garlic, and thyme and stir for 2 minutes. Add the parsley and wine and simmer on low heat.
In a small bowl, beat the reserved pasta cooking water into the egg yolks to temper them,
Add the pasta and egg yolks to the corn sauce and toss. Remove from the heat, add a handful of each cheese and toss vigorously to form a silky sauce, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve the pasta in shallow bowls and top with chives and remaining cheese.