Dutch Oven Chicken and Rice
- Chicken thighs (I used 8, but I freeze half of this)OR 4 breasts
- 2 cups water
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes (the 12 oz) or Rotel tomatoes
- 1 cup rice
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- Olive oil (about 2 tablespoons)
- Fresh herbs (I used parsley and basil)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Adapted from livinglikethekings.com
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Braise the chicken in the dutch oven with some olive oil, about 2 minutes on each side, over high heat. It should be slightly brown.
While the chicken cooks, cup up the onion in thin strips and slice the garlic (I think this gives it more flavor). Chop up the parsley and basil, or whatever you have on hand.
When the chicken is ready, set it aside and cook the onion and garlic in the oil leftover from the chicken. Scrape the sides a bit so you get all that flavor into it and cook for about 2 minutes until the onions look translucent. Add the tomatoes into the mix and break them up. Add the water, rice, and herbs.
Add the chicken back in. Salt and pepper to taste.
Bring everything up to a boil, then stick it in the oven for about 45 minutes.
Let the dutch oven sit, covered, for about a half hour before serving (I love the way this softens the rice).
You'll also love
- Zucchini Parmesan Crisps 4.4/5 (79 Votes)
- Fried Chicken Alfredo 4.5/5 (53 Votes)
- Linguine Pesto with Italian... 4.4/5 (54 Votes)
- Crockpot Mexican Shredded Chicken 4.3/5 (50 Votes)
- Tomato and Parsley Soup 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
- FLUFFY WHITE FROSTING 4.4/5 (34 Votes)
- Wicked Chicken 4.2/5 (36 Votes)
- Shrimp and Chicken Fajitas 4.2/5 (48 Votes)
- Pigs in a Blanket on a Stick 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- No Peek Chicken 4.2/5 (38 Votes)
- Chicken Piccata (CPK Copy Cat) 4/5 (107 Votes)
- 4 Ingredient Chicken Bake 4.1/5 (17 Votes)
- English Hash Brown 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Low Carb Protein Bars 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- Pressure Cooker Sweet Onion... 4.3/5 (23 Votes)
- Oreo Delight 4.1/5 (43 Votes)
- Beef with Red Beans & Rice 4.3/5 (20 Votes)
- Nadan Kozhi Curry - Kerala Style... 4.4/5 (17 Votes)
- Spicy Thai Basil Chicken 4.4/5 (17 Votes)
- Baked Honey Sesame Chicken Thighs 4.3/5 (18 Votes)
- Cheesy Chicken and Rice Bake 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- One-Pan Honey Garlic Chicken 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- Blackened Chicken with Dirty Rice 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Whatchamacallit Candy Bars 3.8/5 (60 Votes)
- Spicy Chicken Lazone 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Mahogany Chicken Thighs 4.2/5 (13 Votes)
- Pollo Guisado 4/5 (31 Votes)
- Arroz Con Chorizo (Rice and... 4.2/5 (6 Votes)