Orange Poppy Seed Cookies
December 29, 2013
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of butter, room temperature
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon of orange zest
- 1 1/4 cup of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon of poppy seeds
Adapted from keyingredient.com
1. Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
2. Add the egg and the orange zest, beat for thirty seconds, scraping down the bowl part way through to ensure even mixing.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly sift it into the butter mixture until just combined. Fold in the poppy seeds.
4. Place heaping teaspoonfuls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or Silpat, allowing them space as they will spread as they bake.
5. Bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes or until just turning golden around the edges. Remove from oven. Let sit on the baking sheet for a minute or two to let the cookies solidify a bit, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.