Quick Spinach and Barley Soup
- 1 lb. fresh baby spinach
- 1 onion – sliced
- 3 cloves garlic – chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1 quart button mushrooms – sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 15 oz. can red kidney beans – drained
- 1 cup instant barley
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1/4 cup pastina noodles
- Fresh grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 32mins
Adapted from livingthegourmet.blogspot.com
Heat a soup pot with a tablespoon of butter. Add the fresh spinach, onion, garlic, mushrooms and carrots and sauté until the onions are softened.
Add the beans, broth and barley and simmer on low for approximately 10 – 15 minutes.
Just before serving add the pastina and continue to saute for another 10 – 12 minutes.
Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and fresh grated cheese.
You'll also love
- Apple Brownies 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Macaroni & Cheese Deluxe 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Sweet Potato & Turkey Frittata 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Lemon Zucchini Salad 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Caprese Arugula Salad 4.3/5 (10 Votes)
- Sweet & Savory Spinach Salad 4.3/5 (11 Votes)
- TOMATO BARLEY SOUP 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Beef Barley Soup 4.3/5 (4 Votes)