Broccoli Soup - Cheezy (Nutritional Yeast)
- 2 lb broccoli (can have up to half of the weight in stems) chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 lb potatoes (I prefer a soft skinned variety) diced
- 1 large carrot, chopped small
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 cups vegetable broth (salt if needed)
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked an hour rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
Adapted from keyingredient.com
Saute onions, celery, and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until onions are translucent and the garlic begins to brown. While that is cooking separate your broccoli, a little over half the
broccoli will go in the pot immediately, including all stems, set the rest aside for later.
Put the separated broccoli and half the potatoes, along with the carrot into the pot and add vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a steady simmer. Allow veggies to cook for about 20 minutes, or until tender.
Blend the soup in batches, careful not to burn yourself with the steam, until the soup is pureed. Place it all back into the pot and add remaining potatoes, broccoli florets, and season with black pepper. Once again bring soup to a boil and reduce to a steady simmer. Allow it to cook until veggies are tender.
Prepare cashew cream by blending soaked cashews with one cup of water until smooth and creamy. Add one cup of liquid from the soup and nutritional yeast and blend until thoroughly combined. Pour cream sauce into the soup and stir well.