Beef with Broccoli, Bell Pepper and Mushrooms
This adaptable recipe will work equally well with chicken, pork, or shrimp and the vegetables of your choice. Use more or less pepper flakes as you like.
Nutrition per serving
271 cal. 23 g pro 17 g carb, 4 g fiber, 12.5 g fat, 3.5 g sat fat, 787 mg sodium
- 1 T reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 T dry sherry
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3/4 lb flank steak, halved lengthwise, sliced against the grain 1/4" thick
- 1 T + 1 tsp canola oil
- 4 c broccoli florets
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced in 1/4" strips
- 6 oz shitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps sliced
- 3 scallions, chopped (which and green parts separate)
- 1 T minced fresh ginger
- 1 T minced fresh garlic
- 1/8-1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 recipe Classic stir-fry sauce
- Classic stir-fry sauce
- 1-1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 c reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 T oyster sauce
- 2 T reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp sherry
- 2 tsp sugar
- Whisk cornstarch into chicken broth and then add oyster sauce and soy sauce along with sherry and sugar.
Combine soy sauce, sherry, cornstarch, and sugar in medium bowl. Stir in beef and set aside for about 15 minutes.
Heat large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add 1 tsp of the oil. Swirl to coat. Add half the beef in a single layer and leave until seared, about 1 minute. Stir fry beef until no longer pink, about 1 minute. Remove. Add 1 tsp oil and repeat with remaining beef.
Add remaining 2 tsp oil to pan. Add broccoli, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Stir fry 2 minutes. Make a well in the center and add white part of scallions, ginger, garlic, and pepper flakes. Stir fry with vegetables 1 minute. Add 1/4 cup water and cover pan until broccoli is just done, 3 minutes. If cooking in a wok, use a large lid, setting it right down into the wok, if necessary, to cover and steam vegetables.
Return beef to pan and add stir fry sauce. Cook until sauce thickens slightly, 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle with scallion greens and serve.
You'll also love
- Pasta with Bacon & Peas 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Watermelon and Blue Cheese Salad 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Creamy Pasta with Spinach and... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Ratatouille Grilled Panini 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Barbecue Ribs in the Slow Cooker 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Beefaroni 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Burgundy Mushroom Sauce 3.6/5 (11 Votes)