Dan Marino's Town Tavern Hot Spinach Dip
- 2 - 10 oz. boxes frozen chopped spinach, defrosted in the refrigerator overnight.
- 4 oz. (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 4 oz. (3/4 c. plus 1 1/2 tbsp.) all purpose flour
- 1 qt. half and half cream
- 8 oz. (2 cups) fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp Tabasco sauce, or to taste
- Fresh ground white pepper, to taste
Squeeze as much moisture as possible from the defrosted spinach - set aside
In a large, heavy saucepan, melt the butter over med heat. Stir in the flour and let it bubble, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Do not let it take on color.
Slowly whisk in the half and half, making sure to reach the edges of the pan as you whisk. Continue to whisk while the mixture slowly comes to a boil. Stir in the parmesan cheese and salt. Turn off the heat and add the Tabasco sauce and white pepper.
Cool about 20 minutes, stirring occaisonally, then stir in the spinach, making sure it is evenly distributed. It is easier if you separate the squeezed spinach with our hands as you add it to the cheese mixture.
This is best served warm. Can be kept, covered and refrigerated, for up to four days. Reheat in a microwave or in the top of a double boiler over boiling water to loosent he mixture, which firms up when refrigerated.