Quinoa Date Squares from She Let Them Eat Cake
These gluten-free and dairy-free date squares make a great breakfast, or a powerful snack. There’s no guilt with these babies.
- Quinoa Date Squares
- 1 cup water
- 1 small apple chopped (I used royal gala)
- 2 1/4 cups medjool dates (pit dates first)
- juice of 1/2 a lemon (2 tbsp lemon juice)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (Annie’s recipe called for 3/4 cups butter)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup almond flour (very finely ground almonds)
- 1/4 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 2 1/2 cup quinoa flakes (Annie’s recipe called for rolled oats)
Adapted from sheletthemeatcake.com
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and grease an 8×8 pan.
Bring 1 cup of water to a boil and simmer chopped apples until almost soft. Add dates and simmer another 5-10 minutes until soft. Add lemon juice and blend with an immersion blender.
In a small bowl mix coconut oil and maple syrup. Combine flours and sea salt in a large bowl. If you don’t have almond flour just use more sorghum flour (Annie used brown rice flour). Add quinoa flakes and stir to combine.
Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
Press 2/3 of the date square crumble dough into the bottom of the greased 8×8 pan. Spread with the date mixture and then add the remaining crumble dough.
Bake for 35-40 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack and enjoy.