Chicken, Black Bean and Corn Enchilada Casserole
Weights Watchers Points 6
- 1 2/3 ounces Old El Paso Enchilada Souce Mix, or equivalent product (use 1.62 ounce package)
- 6 ounces canned tomato paste
- 8 cups water, divided
- 2 tablesppons canola oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 ; 12 cups uncooked yellow cornmeal
- 1 spray non-stick cooking spray
- 15 ounce can yellow corn, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, skinless, diced
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 90mins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare enchilade sauce according to package directions using tomato paste and 3 cups of water.
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, pepper and garlic. Cook, stirring until translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove 1 cup of onion mixture and place in a large mixing bowl; set aside. Stir 3 cups of water into remaining onion mixture and bring to a boil.
Meanwhile, add cornmeal to remaining 2 cups of water in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Gradually add corn meal mixture to boiling water-onion mixture. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until cornmeal is thickened, about 4 to 6 minutes.
Coat a 9x13 inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. Spread cornmeal mixture evenly over bottom of dish.
Spoon beans, corn and chicken into reserved onion mixture; combine thoroughly.
Spread half of enchilada sauce over cornmeal layer. Top with all of bean mixture and then remaining enchilada sauce; sprinkle with cheese. Bake unitl heated through and cheese is melted, about 45 minutes. Slice into 8 pieces and serve.