Cheesy Ham and Sweet Potato Casserole
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh sweet potatoes (yam variety)
- 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon basil, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups swiss cheese, grated
- 3/4 lb ham, cooked, cubed
1. Wash sweet potatoes. Cook unpeeled sweet potatoes, covered, in small amount of boiling salt water untill tender, about 20 to 30 minutes. Cool. Peel and slice 1/4 inch thick; set aside.
2. Melt butter in medium saucepan. Add onion, cook until tender. Remove from heat; stir in flour, salt, basil, mustard and pepper. Cook over low heat until bubbly, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in milk all at once. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Boil and stir one minute. Remove from heat. Stir in 3/4 cup of cheese and the ham.
3. Pour half of mixture into greased 2 quart casserole. Arrange half of sweet potatoes on top. Repeat layers. Bake at 350*F, 25 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake 3 to 4 minutes longer, or until cheese has melted.