Buttermilk Pancakes with Caramelised Apples
Pancakes are the undisputed kings of the breakfast table. There is simply nothing better at giving your mornings a lift than a tower of fluffy golden discs topped with ingots of butter and flowing with dribbles of maple syrup. The topping choice for this recipe are caramelised apples, which to us are the perfect match for pancakes. And no, we are not apologetic for our indulgence. Enjoy!
- For Buttermilk Pancakes:
- Dry Ingredients:
- 140 g of Plain Flour
- 1 tsp of Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp of Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp of Salt
- 2 tbsp of Sugar
- Wet Ingredients:
- 1 Egg
- 1 Cup of Buttermilk
- 40 g of Melted Butter
- 1/2 tsp of Vanilla Bean Paste
- Sunflower oil
- Maple Syrup
- Additional Butter for Spreading
- Caramelised Apples:
- 2 Granny Smiths (cut each apple to 12 to 16 slices depending on the size of the apple)
- 30 g of Butter
- 3 tbsp of Sugar
- Salt & Black Pepper (to taste)
- Ground Cinnamon (to taste)
Adapted from cookism.tumblr.com
1. Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well.
2. Measure 1 cup of room temperature buttermilk. Add in melted butter, egg and vanilla bean paste. You may melt the butter by popping it into the microwave for a few seconds. Allow it to cool to room temperature before using. Stir well!
3. Form a well in middle of the dry mixture.Pour in the wet mixture. Whisk the mixture till smooth and flowy.
4. Heat the pan under medium-low heat. Pour oil into a small bowl. Dip 1 sheet of crushed tissue paper into the bowl and apply it evenly on the pan. Use a ladle to scoop the mixture and carefully pour it into the pan to form a circle. The trick is to allow the mixture to flow in the middle of the circle. Flip the pancake when you observe skin forming at the rim and bubbles appearing on the surface. Continue to cook on the other side till golden brown. You can lift the pancake slightly to see if it’s ready.
5. For caramelised apples, heat the pan with medium heat. Add in butter, followed by apple wedges. Season it with a little salt and pepper. Sprinkle sugar over the apples and mix well. Add in a pinch of cinnamon powder. Allow the apples to cook till they are nicely caramelised.
6. When the caramelised apples are ready, place them on top of the pancakes. Serve with butter and maple syrup!